The purpose of this month’s blog posting is to bring …. JOY! After all, the people putting it on (sponsored by BlogHer) posit that if all of the month of December all you think about is what makes you happy? Then you’ll have a better idea of what you really want your new year to include. Not just fluffy ‘if I get to it’ resolutions, but real, current day, day to day, everyday ideals. If it makes you happy, you should have more of it… right? Right. New year’s resolutions are often punishing, punitive, musts, mustnt’s and shoulds. Maybe we SHOULD all think about what makes us joyful–and consider adding more joy in our lives in 2015.
The first topic for the month is in the picture above: What do you do when you’re down to bring yourself a little joy?
- If possible, I turn on music, my music, loudly. Singing along is mandatory. Interrupting is not good for you.
- I cuddle my kids, make them laugh, tickle them, read to them, anything to make their faces shine brightly.
- Anything sweet, or pizza. They make me happy. You can tell it’s been a rough week if we have 3 different kinds of pizza. It’s happened. I don’t feel bad about it.
- If it’s time for a reality check, then I take a deep breath. I try and look on the bright side. I know a lot of people who are less well off, or have worse issues, than me.
- I step away from the computer and check into a good book.
- Plan meals, treats, or to buy something special. Retail and carb therapy are good ones for me. It’s okay if they’re delayed a while.
- I take a walk. Occasionally I get to be outside by myself, breathe in fresh air, and walk around. Sometimes I take pictures, sometimes I just enjoy what’s going on.
- I look for the small things in which to see God. A late blooming flower, a squirrel storing nuts for the winter, the first buds of spring, etc.
So what about you?
How do you bring joy to your life?