Nikki says: I don’t know about you, but my family is great at creating strange words that only we know the meaning. Some were created when the kids were first learning to talk, others came about when our tongues were twisted and the word came out funny. Either way, the words stuck and we still use them in our daily conversations. What created words does your family use?! Please share the story behind the word if you remember. If you don’t have a made up word then tell us about the unspoken way you communicate with someone. Stop by Nikki’s and see who else is playing!
My husband and I are the only ones in our household. We have a whole ‘nother language and when we are around other people we get a lot of weird looks. Basically it’s a combination of movie phrases that we repeat to each other, and words made up from situations that only the 2 of us would ‘get’ because we were the only ones there. We have a really really fun relationship and we have so much fun and it’s ingrained so far that it’s hard to think of something in particular, but I’ll try. Oh and they don’t HAVE to make sense, that’s the beauty of it!
1. Harummphf! (this we say in fake or real consternation with each other)
2. Spanish question words…of course using the correct one is preferred, but sometimes, we use the wrong one and that’s okay too. We use these out of the blue for no reason at all.
3. “cheese it’s good” — this is a new one, my hubby says its from an old movie, but it’s a thing, if one of us says the word cheese, the other is obligated to finish the phrase.
4. Needs more cowbell (I have no idea what prompts my husband to say this) but I always reply with MOOOO ding ding ding MOOOO. Kind of similar to don’t have a cow man, but also can be, she had a calf with a bell on it (moo, ding, etc). Oh and if you just have a little cow is meh (moo cut short).
5. AUUOOO!!! eh hmm.. We howl at each other. Often. Sometimes, it’s as if we’re saying ‘where are you’ — like if I wake up on the weekend before the hubby and I’m downstairs checking my e-mail, all the sudden I’ll hear ‘auuoo’ and I know he’s awake and misses me in bed (all together now… AWWWW!)